When was your last professional dental cleaning? If it has been more than six months, you're putting your oral health at risk. Dental exams and cleanings are integral components of preventive dentistry, a field dedicated to preventing the onset and progression of dental disease. We, at OliveTree Dentistry, are committed to promoting long-term healthy smiles by encouraging our valued patients to keep up with their twice-a-year dental exams and cleanings.
Why Are Dental Cleanings Necessary?
The importance of teeth cleanings cannot be over-emphasized. This preventive measure is the simplest, easiest, and most cost-effective way to prevent dental issues such as tooth decay, cavities, bad breath (halitosis), or periodontal (gum) disease from developing or progressing. Moreover, maintaining your oral health has a direct impact on your overall health. Studies show a link between gum disease and an elevated risk of many health conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
What Does Your Dental Cleaning Involve?
Your dental cleaning will include the following:
- A Dental Exam: Dr. Koshy will examine every aspect of your oral health. If she detects any early signs of cavities, gum disease, or any other potential concerns, she will recommend the most conservative and effective treatments to restore your oral health and prevent the condition from progressing.
- Plaque and tartar removal: Our dental hygienist will use an instrument called a scaler to remove plaque and tartar deposits from between your teeth and around your gum line.
- Professional Tooth Polishing: A high-powered electric toothbrush and a gritty toothpaste will remove any plaque or tartar left behind. Polishing also helps remove surface stains, leaving your teeth looking whiter and brighter.
- Professional Flossing: Our dental hygienist will floss between your teeth to remove any remaining plaque and tartar and locate any trouble areas where the gums may bleed.
- Tips on Dental Hygiene Practices: We may recommend changes or additions to your oral hygiene care routine at home, based on our observations, to ensure your smile stays clean and healthy between dental visits.
- Fluoride Treatment: Depending on your needs, we may recommend a fluoride treatment to strengthen your teeth and lower your risk of developing tooth decay and cavities.
Dr. Koshy and her team are proud to offer ultrasonic cleaning, the groundbreaking technology that uses electromagnetic forces in an ultrasonic scaler to quickly and gently clean teeth, rather than the traditional metal scaler. The ultrasonic cleaning scaler vibrates faster than the speed of sound, effectively blasting away plaque, tartar, and surface tooth stains. The unit also delivers a small stream of water or mouthwash to flush out debris. The vibrating tip breaks the water into millions of tiny bubbles, which creates an environment less hospitable to cavity-causing bacteria.
We also prefer this method because it doesn’t put any physical pressure on the teeth. This is important for people who have periodontal disease because they’re already prone to loosened teeth and don’t need to worry about having a tooth accidentally dislodged at the dentist.
Dental Cleaning Near Me
Contact OliveTree Dentistry Sunnyvale, TX, to schedule your routine dental exam and cleaning. Dr. Koshy and her exceptional team are proponents of prevention rather than treating dental disease after it develops. We are committed to providing quality preventive services to keep your smile clean and healthy. Call us today!
Request Your Appointment Today
Please click the link to conveniently schedule your appointment with OliveTree Dentistry. A member of our team will contact you to confirm your selection. We look forward to caring for your smile!